Monday, November 19, 2007

Halls, and the Decking Thereof


The holiday spirit is hitting hard in the Sowers household! Rachel has worked her decorating magic on the living room, and today we set up and ornamented the tree, while listening to carols, drinking hot chocolate, and eating sugar cookies in the shapes of angels, stars, and camels!

Here are some shots of the actual decking. I'll post some more when all of the clutter of storage boxes and such has been cleared away.


Those of you who know my family may be wondering who the extra people are. Two of the teachers from a bilingual school in town came over to help us decorate the tree.

See the table with the Nativity scene on it, next to the tree? That's an example of Rachel's creativity. That "table" is actually four boxes of Spanish Bibles. We have no other place to store those boxes, so Rachel covered them with fabric and made them part of the decor. She's a pretty smart and resourceful cookie, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel is a decorating genius! Then again all those Sowers are brilliant! Is it a Honduran tradition to put up the Christmas tree before Thanksgiving? :]
Just wondering...
Love Beth

Trish said...

Hi Beth! No, it's not a tradition, we were just working the decorating into the schedule. Rachel especially wanted the teachers to come, and that was the day they could do it.

In general though, we do seem to decorate earlier in Honduras than we did in the US. I think, because we don't have as many of the 'cues' which make us think holidays in the states (like colder weather, special church events, decorations and holiday music in public places, etc) it takes us longer to feel like it's really Christmas time here. So, we give ourselves an early jump-start!

Anonymous said...

Hi back! ; ]
I try not to decorate until sometime in mid-December but I think it is partly my cynical reaction to the over-commercialization of Christmas in the US. There are stores that begin decorating with Christmas ornaments right after Halloween! I also like the period of time after Thanksgiving for a time of reflection and self-examination so that I am really ready for the spiritual importance of Christmas. But...I also love your decorations!
It looks like fun! Give my love to all the kiddos, big and small!!
Love Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi back! ; ]
I try not to decorate until sometime in mid-December but I think it is partly my cynical reaction to the over-commercialization of Christmas in the US. There are stores that begin decorating with Christmas ornaments right after Halloween! I also like the period of time after Thanksgiving for a time of reflection and self-examination so that I am really ready for the spiritual importance of Christmas. But...I also love your decorations!
It looks like fun! Give my love to all the kiddos, big and small!!
Love Beth