Friday, December 21, 2007

. . . so we had this little houseplant . . .

I would like to start off with a disclaimer: I am not a gardener. It is actually cruel for me to own plants. They begin to die as soon as I lay eyes on them.

However, here in the tropics, it seems that even I can own living plants. Put them outside, not in the direct sun, and the plants mostly just grow. I think Rachel might be watering them occasionally, too, but I'm not sure.

We had this little plant, about six inches tall, that sat in a pot atop our VCR for a year. It stayed green, and didn't droop, but that was all it did. It was a semi-ugly plant; one central stalk with long leaves coming directly out from the stalk. My kids call it the "corn plant," as it reminded them of a small stalk of corn.

When we moved from our first rental house in Gracias to our current house, and had more room for plants outdoors, we moved the little plant out onto a porch. At some point, someone (NOT ME - probably Rachel again) repotted it into a larger pot, as it was finally showing some signs of growth.

After just over a year of living outdoors, the plant is now a monstrosity . . . taller than Rachel, although still consisting of one stalk with leaves. Like corn.

And now, it is flowering! Here it is, in all it's glory:





(I still think it's kind of semi-ugly, though.) ;-D

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am horrible with plants too. I always say why even bother to go to the garden store - because for me its lets pick out which plant I want to kill.

I am hoping however once in Honduras, that I will be able to over come the whole killing plants. I am even thinking of trying to have a garden - a vegitable garden - for us, although I am not sure how well I will do with that either, LOL.

And it does look like a corn stalk, thats funny.
~Jennifer

Trish said...

Hey Jennifer - I keep thinking about vegetable gardening, too. The only thing we've done so far is to keep the dogs from destroying the tomato plants that came up where we dumped some chopped tomatoes that weren't used in a meal. We struggled to keep those alive long enough to bear.

Anonymous said...

Wow! A little tropical sunshine works wonders! Can I bring my failing houseplants if we come again this summer? Actually I think getting through customs is a big enough hassle with all those bags of medicine without having to explain the plants! : ]
Love you lots
Beth
PS Would you like us to bring some garden seeds when/if we come? What kinds?