Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm so proud of myself - I bought a painting!


A couple of weeks ago, I saw a man walking down the street, carrying two large paintings, which he had for sale. Of course, he zoned in on me in a second (read: gringa = money). Although I was in a hurry to get to the bank (Rachel was holding a place in line for me, and she likes me to get there before she reaches the front of the line), I stopped for a moment to look at them.

They were nice landscapes, in gentle, realistic colors. I liked one more than the other, and was very tempted to purchase it. But, I was on my way to the bank to get some cash, and since my recent trips to the bank have often not resulted in my actually receiving any cash, I wasn't sure that I would be able to make a purchase. So, I asked the man to come by my house later in the afternoon.

Big surprise here - I came home from the bank with no cash. When the man came to the house, I told him that I would like to buy the one painting, but that I had no money that day. He said that he would come back in ten days, if I thought I would have the money by then. So, I agreed to make that purchase. To my surprise, he left the picture with me, and walked away! I must look mighty trustworthy. Well, that, and he knows where I live.

Happily, when he came back, I did have enough money to pay for the painting.

I really like having this picture in my living room. When we lived in the states, I rarely had any artwork on the walls of my home. There were too many choices of different pieces of art that I could have placed on display - my choice would say so much about my taste. I guess I couldn't take the pressure of the decision. After all, there would always be something a bit nicer, if I just kept looking.

But this painting is one of only two I have ever seen for sale here. One day last year, I saw a man walking down the street selling decoratively framed mirrors. I thought about getting one, but decided not to jump on the purchase. Of course, I've not yet seen any more mirrors like those for sale. That influenced me not to wait around this time, for another painting I liked better. I liked this one, and I bought it.

I hope you like it too. But if you don't, well, I'm not going to worry about it! ;-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it Trish! I think we should get rid of the things hanging around our houses that don't bring us joy (except of course the occasional family member) and surround ourselves with things that delight us. I hope this painting brings you much joy.
Love Beth