Monday, March 24, 2008

2006 Dental Team



A few days ago, I mentioned the symbols and designs which are often painted on country houses in the mountains of Lempira. Today, I went searching through our (thousands!) of pictures, looking for a few photos of those houses, to show you. I've only found one so far, so I'll keep looking for more before I write a post about those. While looking, though, I found these photos.

This is a dental team which visited Lempira in September of 2006. The same group also ran a children's program that week, but the pictures I found interesting today were of the dentists, and the conditions in which they worked.

Medical professionals take a lot of flack for being demanding . . . but we have seen some incredible work done in extremely difficult conditions, in the name of Christ, and with an attitude of joy for the opportunity to serve others.

As you look through these photos, keep a picture in your mind, of these same people, in their bright, clean offices, with all of their supplies and equipment organized and ready, and with assistants on hand to do whatever they ask.

Dental chairs were not available, so the dentists used folding lawn chairs, which could be reclined somewhat.

Allen oversees the sterilization of the dental instruments

The sterilization process was something that had to continue throughout the day, in order to keep up with the huge number of patients.


Set up in a school, work space was at a premium, and needed supplies often had to be dug out of suitcases.



Patients waiting for care. The services of dentists are highly valued, and much needed!

2 comments:

Periwinkle said...

Once again my dear friend God has used your blog to speak to me I have been complaining about the dental bills we have incurred this months for our children, No more whining from this mom!!

Suzanne said...

That's simply amazing. I appreciate Allen's do-it-yourself autoclave! What a blessing that these professionals choose to give back. Like you said they could be content to stay in their beautiful offices.