Saturday, April 19, 2008

Yummy Yogurt

At the same time that I ordered that root beer extract, I also ordered some packets of powdered yogurt starter. I've been meaning to get around to making homemade yogurt since Christmas, and I finally, finally, made some this week.

We have a cute little yogurt maker, which turns one quart of milk into yogurt. It takes about 6 hours to make one batch. I have to hold out 1/2 cup of the new yogurt, to use as starter for the next batch. It turns out that my family can consume more than 1 quart (minus 1/2 cup) of yogurt at one sitting - big surprize there, huh? I have seen recipes for making 1 gallon of milk into yogurt, but it is a good bit more work than using the little yogurt maker, so for now, I think I'll stick to making a quart at a time.

A few weeks ago, Allen went shopping in San Pedro Sula, and brought home a couple bags of frozen strawberries. Talk about some happy kids - strawberry yogurt! Rachel plans to try making some strawberry/chocolate yogurt soon. There's nothing like adding chocolate to . . . well, almost anything, right? ;-D

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, how I remember that home made yogurt. It was such a treat when we were all on Guanaja. I have really loved reading your blog.

Suzanne said...

Homemade yogurt is delicious. Now you've got me wanting some. I used to make it myself.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Honduras Sprout said...

I need to get one of those yogurt makers and some starter because not only has skim & 2% milk been no where to be found in SPS I can't find any good yogurt either. You know the kind with the good bacterias.

La Gringa said...

Trish, I read that a one quart Mason jar (if you can find one) will fit right in the machine, so you could make 2 batches back to back.

I have to share mine with my chickens and dogs, but to be honest, I've been a little greedy lately. :-D

Papaya is still my fave. Oh, BTW, I used some homemade yogurt to make some homemade ice cream upon which I put hot fudge. No....that was one thing that chocolate did not go well with. I thought it might be the frozen yogurt, but the next night I made some sauce with my stashed-away fresh-frozen cherries and it was delicious with the tanginess of the fruit.

I'm only saving about a quarter cup of the yogurt to start the next batch now and I can't tell the difference. FYI.