Thursday, May 13, 2010

Another Bird Identification



Bethany saw this bird in our front yard today, and rushed for the camera - didn't she get a great shot? These birds run fast, making a clear photo even harder to obtain! Bethany correctly recognized that it was a ground bird, as she said it ran away from her, rather than flying.



I knew it was a road runner, but I had to search a bit for the specific type. In my reading, I found that some road runners eat rattlesnakes, and I sure hope ours do!

I found a good match to our bird in a picture of a Lesser Road Runner in a "Birds of Honduras" website, so I'm feeling pretty confident about the identification. Here's a link to a picture, so you can compare and see if you think I'm right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a Road Runner--well except....you know. Thanks for posting!

Jane McSweeney

beckyc said...

that's cool! don't see those in Alabama, ha!