Friday, February 23, 2018

Not Lost in Translation

Much has been written about the preparations Russell makes before each team visit. For instance, we know he lines up translators from the area. But who are these translators Russell is lining up? Today, we’re going to meet a couple of them. Between their accents and my Texas drawl, a phone call where we couldn’t read lips and look at facial expressions was a bit challenging, but their message was not lost in translation!

Queren

Queren, with team members from the
recent bridge-in-a-week team
Queren is a 20-yr-old woman who graduated from a local bilingual school two years ago. She has translated for other people in the past, but I spoke to her during her second week of working for Sowers4Pastors. One thing is certain; Queren enjoys her job!

About working as a translator, she said, “It has been so great for me. I’ve learned many things. Every team that comes here is so awesome, it makes me want to be with them. [This week] we have visited schools, homes, and churches.” She went on to gush about the people--both the people of her home community of Gracias, and the visiting team.

She said, “I have enjoyed being around the team. It makes me so happy. They have such big hearts and want to help people!”

Queren’s heart is pretty big, too. Serving as a local translator has inspired her to become a missionary. Her dream is to study French in college and become a full-time missionary to Africa. She said, “They [the visiting teams] are my inspiration. If I have the chance, I can do it. I’m grateful to God for giving me the chance to be here.”

Anna

Anna has been working as a part-time translator since last summer. She is also a native of Gracias and a graduate of the local bilingual school. As with all of the translators, this is not a full time job. She said, “When Russell calls me, I come.”

Ana

What is Anna’s favorite thing about the job? She loves watching the people’s faces when they get help--both economically and through counseling. She said, “The teams are doing a great job here. I love how they engage with the people. They don’t look at them like strange people. They look at them like brothers and sisters in God. It makes them [the people receiving help] feel welcome--like family.

Anna wants people to know how thankful she is for the Sowers and the work they do in her hometown and its surrounding communities. She said, “I want to keep working with them and have more amazing experiences with them.”

 - posted by Christi

No comments: