Tuesday, November 20, 2007

An Early Christmas Present - For Me!!!!!!

I am so excited I can hardly think to type! My fear is that my readers may not understand my enthusiasm, so I will back up and give you the explanation for my joy.

We have a checking account in Florida, where we receive our personal and ministry funds. But if we write a check in Honduras on a US bank account, it takes several weeks for the money to be deposited in our local bank. So, we utilize a check cashing service in San Pedro Sula. We write a check and deliver it to that city. Within a week, if everything works out right, the funds are deposited into our account here.

One problem with this system is that the only way to find out if the money has arrived in our account has been to go to the bank and ask the teller for the account balance. The line to see a teller at the bank is regularly out the door and down the street about a half a block. I have stood in that line, many times, for hours.

A few weeks ago, we were awaiting deposited funds. Our supply of cash-on-hand was growing short, and we had some major upcoming expenses, including the week of Bible Training School. We really needed to get that money. Unbeknownst to me, there had been a problem with the deposit, and I went to the bank three times before finally calling the check cashing service to find out the cause of the delay. In one week, this added up to about seven hours in line at the bank!

I have just received this piece of news - such stunningly good news that I am considering it an early Christmas gift to me . . . and one of the best gifts I have ever received:

Our local bank is now offering on-line banking! I will be able to find out if the deposit has arrived from the comfort of my own computer desk!

I'm headed out tomorrow to sign up for this service. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW. I get annoyed waiting in line at the bank, and it's less than 5 blocks from my apartment! I can't imagine it being hours away, in another city!

Online banking is definitely cool. But I still have to be physically at my bank to buy US dollars though, :(

Kim & Dave said...

YEAH!!!

That is excellent news, Trish!!

Honduras Sprout said...

How excellent for you! I don't know what I would do without online banking!!

Anonymous said...

Merry, merry, merry Christmas Trish! What a wonderful timesaver for you. Write this down for those days when you wonder if God really does love you! This is His way of saying it in practical terms.
Beth