Saturday, September 15, 2007

Helping Marilu

A few months ago, we met little Marilu and her parents. Marilu was born with some severe defects, but is otherwise mentally and physically normal and healthy. We have already received some donations of funds to help Marilu, but until now, we haven't had the ability to line up medical help for her.

La Gringa, a blogger over in La Ceiba Honduras, was kind enough to feature my blog on her blog, this past week. She especially drew attention to the story Practicing Medicine Without A License. As a result, I was contacted by Dr David Black, who works on the north coast of Honduras, and who very helpfully passed some information my way, concerning medical resources available to those of us working in Honduras. As part of this large collection of information, he mentioned an upcoming medical team, including pediatric orthopedists (bone doctors specializing in the care of children). I immediately thought of Marilu, and wrote back to Dr Black, to see if these doctors might be able to help her.

The medical team will be working in San Pedro Sula (about 4 hours drive from here) this coming week! The timing is difficult for us, as we have a session of the Bible Training School this week (postponed from last week, because of the road conditions after Felix). Obviously, we are working hard to make arrangements to get Marilu to San Pedro Sula, to find out if these doctors will be able to improve her situation.

We would certainly appreciate your prayers; for us as we make the arrangements, for Marilu and her family, and for the doctors who will be evaluating her condition.

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

Trish I am not a doctor but a nurse of 23 years here in the us. If I can ever help you with advice or anything let me know.Thanks for the work you do.

Anonymous said...

Awwww! It breaks my heart to look at that picture of Marilu... I see a little bit of my Honduran 7 month old daughter in her, and tears come to my eyes. What a little angel.... I am praying for her. A BIG thank you to everyone who is tyring to help her. God Bless you all.

La Gringa said...

Trish, I'm so very glad that I was able to help you make a connection and hopefully the doctors will be able to help poor little Marilu.

The things you do are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Trish, I am joining my prayers with yours for Marilu, her family, her treatment and the arrangements that need to be made. She is a beautiful child. Also praying for the Bible School, your family, and the pastor's families while they are in Gracias. Love always, Beth