Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Gift for the Children of Gracias Lempira


My children were excited to see that a new playground is being installed at the park nearest our house. We were told that this equipment has been donated by (or possibly through) the First Lady's office, and also that it will be available for play tomorrow.

This same park contains this beautiful colonial church. I don't know the age of this building, but it has been undergoing a huge restoration project. When we moved here two years ago, it wasn't much more than a ruin. This is one of my favorites of the old catholic churches in our area . . . I'm fond of simple buildings.



This park also has a fabulous, gigantic old tree. Rachel stood far away from it, to try to get the entire tree into the picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Trish
Is this the church that was surrounded by a chain link fence near the restaurant where we had dinner one night? If I remember correctly you and most of the kids did not come because so many of you were sick. Bethany was there and maybe David. The church I am thinking of was on the same road as the hotel we stayed in the first year but in the opposite direction from your new house.
I'm sure that's clear as mud...: [
Beth Webb
OrangePark Florida
PS the playground looks like fun. Have you done a test run yet?

Anonymous said...

It is called San Sebastian Church and it is one of the oldest in town. it is the only one that has a fence. I am so glad that they are remodeling the church and installing a playground. I used to play in that little park when I was a child. Then we had to climb the fence to be able to play inside since the gate was always locked or we waited for San Sebastian Fair Day on January 20th.

Thanks for the pictures.

Juan Carlos
www.willamettephoto.com