Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Have I mentioned standing in line at the bank, recently?

Oh joy - I went to the bank today! I needed to pay the electric and phone bills, and pull out some cash. Of course, I didn't accomplish either of those. If I had, it wouldn't have made a very interesting blog post, right?

Actually, this trip to the bank is a bit of a success story for me. I did stand in line for about an hour, but most of that was outside of the bank, on the sidewalk. Almost as soon as I entered the bank, I began to overhear, in the conversations of other customers, the dreaded phrase, "No hay sistema" which, sadly, means that the bank's computers are down, and many bank transactions will not be possible. In the past, with my level of Spanish, I would have stood in line all the way to the front of the bank, and then I wouldn't have known why they weren't willing to help me, I would have just gone home, without the cash and with my bills unpaid.

I still went home without cash, and my bills are still unpaid, but hey . . . I found out before I got to the front of the line! ;-D

No comments: