Thursday, March 31, 2011

A thank you, a photo for my sister, and a prayer request


First, I wanted to say that I really appreciate all the comments I've been receiving on the recent bridge construction posts. I figure my blog friends are being kind to me, after I whined recently about not getting comments on ministry subjects, so I wanted to let you know that I appreciate it!

Second, I took some pictures this evening, of a parasitic flower growing on a pine tree near my vegetable garden. I think it might be a wild orchid, but I don't know for certain. Since my sister grows orchids in her kitchen in Maryland (with much effort, I'm sure), I thought perhaps she'd appreciate seeing the possible orchid that is growing here, without any human intervention. Here's a closer shot:



Finally, I wanted to mention that we just noticed that a fairly large forest fire has started a few miles from here. Everything is extremely dry, because we're months into the dry season, and it's quite windy right now, so this has the potential to be a difficult fire to extinguish. We don't believe this fire will endanger us on our property, but it appears (from here) to be close to the village of Villami, and also close to the national park on the mountain of Celaque. Please pray with us that this fire won't become a major problem and danger for the community.

4 comments:

Kris Thede said...

Praying. Not an expert but looks more like a type of air plant ? Fauche

The Reader said...

Praying for the forest fire, and I think it's not an orchid, but maybe a type of bromeliad. Very cool though!

And am thoroughly enjoying the bridge posts and not just posting to be nice ;)

J said...

It does not look like an orchid.

mcm said...

The plant looks like a type of bromeliad.
I'm not sure I've ever commented on your blog before -- but I love it! You have a wonderful attitude, and it makes me smile to read about your homestead.
Of course, I enjoy reading about the bridge construction the most! :)