Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The View from Kelsea

Friday morning, I piled into a van with eleven other people, a mixture of both Hondurans and North Americans, to revisit the Mercedes child sponsorship center. We had been there a few days prior to distribute backpacks and shoes to the children in the program, but we needed to return in order to collect letters from the children for their sponsors back in the States, as well as make sure the children who were absent at our last visit, received their backpacks and shoes.



When we arrived at the center, the children began to arrive as well. While a few began a game of soccer in the middle of the church floor, the others lined the walls of the building, standing quietly. A couple members of our group jumped right into the scene while the rest (myself included) stood off to the side to take it all in. As I stood there, I felt the weight of the language barrier. I so badly wanted to jump into their games, to talk to the children, to get to know them, to laugh with them, and to show them how loved they are. However, with my limited ability to speak and understand Spanish, I felt incapable.



As I watched, I saw an 8 year-old girl, sitting on the steps by herself. I walked over and sat next to her. I began to ask her how she was, her name, whether she had siblings there, whether she was excited to start school, etc.  She answered each question with a smile on her face and it wasn’t long before a boy of about the same age joined us. I began talking to him as well. One thing led to another and before long I was sitting in a circle of fifteen children playing catch, laughing with them learning their names.  As I looked around me, similar interactions were happening all throughout the church. I was struck by the way laughter, smiles, and a couple of Spanish words combined with the desire to connect, could build such a strong bridge between the lingual and cultural divide we were experiencing.

During our remaining time at the center, we played other games with the children, served them ice cream, took pictures with them, and exchanged lots of hugs! When it was time to leave, we said our goodbyes and piled back into the van.  I left Mercedes with a full heart, having made some new little friends, and reflecting on the importance of stepping outside of our perceived capabilities to simply show love to those we encounter.

 - posted by Kelsea

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update, Kelsea. I am so glad that you are enjoying the children. We love you! Uncle David and Aunt Janice