Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The View from Kelsea: Visiting teams

Sowers4Pastors has hosted three back-to-back mission teams in the last three weeks. I had the privilege of not only going out with the teams every day to be a part of their projects with them, but spending time with them “off the job” as well. I can say confidently that I have met some truly amazing individuals in the last few weeks. One thing that struck me as I got to know the teams was that exactly half of the total number of team members were here on their second or third trip, which made me wonder: what is it about the Sowers4Pastors mission trips that make people want to come back?


So, I asked a few of the returning team members that question, and here are some of the answers I received:

Jeremiah (on the left) with fellow
team member Ramiro
I decided to come back simply because I couldn’t forget the need I witnessed and the impact this mission family (really it’s an organization) was making. I felt that I didn’t really have a choice. I knew before I flew home on the 1st trip that I was not only coming back but would be giving support (financial and otherwise) to the Sowers4Pastors ministry going forward. The level of impact and their model is how I would hope I would do it if I were called to the mission field. Once you see the need and experience a mission trip, it’s hard to turn your back on it. We are blessed with time, talents, and treasures and until last year, I took the easy option and just cut a check. Putting myself in a situation to serve others with my time and talents really made an impact on me. It’s the old adage that you go on a mission trip to help others but you invariably end up growing and developing yourself as well.”
-Jeremiah, Christ Church of Orlando

“Heath & I decided we wanted to come back for a second trip because we felt God had called us to come back. On top of that we love coming to work alongside the Sowers and seeing how Jesus is working in and through their ministry. What the Sowers are doing in Honduras is incredible and it’s amazing to be a part of it. This last week being able to hear and see the impact Manna4Lempira and the Sowers are having on the communities and schools is so inspiring. I mean, kids are staying in school because of the Manna4Lempira program and some kids who dropped out are returning! That’s amazing! Missionary work isn’t easy and serving those in poverty isn’t easy, but the Sowers approach all of it with positive, genuine, servant hearts. You can clearly see that they aren’t in this line of work for their gain, but to truly help others. That’s why we’ll keep coming back again and again.”
-Chelsea, Lighthouse Church, Maryland

I came back to Honduras because it was awesome to get a chance to see God working in people's lives. Last year the people of Roble Gacho told us that they had been waiting years for a bridge. When we finished the bridge it was truly a blessing to see the joy they had and the thanks and praise they gave to God. Our team got to take part in God's answer to their prayers. And that is what I looked forward to this year, was just to be used by God again. Getting to form new relationships with the people of Honduras and serve alongside them is one of my favorite parts. Seeing that we got to make a small impact in their lives was truly an honor.”
-Analeise, Christ Church of Orlando

“I don't have a singular answer into why I came back. From the amount of ministries to the empowering of the local people to the sacrifice to create something out of selflessness, I think the greatest of all reasons is impact. Not only do the Sowers have an impact on the local community, but they have an impact on us, the ministry team. I have been on mission trips before where it felt as if the missionary was nowhere to be found, but this group is always there. Sacrificing personal/family time to show they don't just want donations, they want you to understand the full spectrum of your impact on the ministry Sowers4Pastors. I will continue coming back for where their ministry has allowed for my spiritual growth and the growth of everyone around them.”
-Josh, Lighthouse Church, Maryland

The responses I received only confirmed what I have seen in the short five weeks I have spent serving alongside the Sowers. God is doing amazing things in Honduras through the Sowers4Pastors ministry, lives are being changed, and we have an opportunity to be a part of it!

 - posted by Kelsea

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post and for helping and spending time with us on the trip. I look forward to reading about other people's experiences as well. -Ramiro