Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Reflections

Here we are, in the Christmas season again. It’s always been my favorite time of year, whether I’m watching snow fall in Maryland, seeing all the lights and ribbons in Florida, or hearing the firecrackers go off in Honduras. And, as we should every year, I try to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.

It’s a cliché for sure: What’s the real reason for the season? I just saw an ad selling peanuts that explained the real reason for the season is giving, and what better gift than peanuts? I didn’t know whether to laugh or groan. 

This year, Christmas has a special meaning for me: This will be my first Christmas working in Honduras as a missionary, rather than as an MK (missionary kid, for the uninitiated). I’ve already got plans and obligations and stuff that has to get done, planned for months ahead – and I’m probably the laziest and most under-booked person in this ministry. As I make that transition, I pray that I will be able to keep my focus on why I became a missionary – the real reason for this season of my life, so to speak.

Why do we bother with what we do? If you support our ministry in some way or another, you probably know what we do. Obviously, we help children go to school, help improve their health and nutrition. We help community leaders gain access to resources they otherwise wouldn’t have so they can serve and strengthen their community. We connect children here in Honduras with someone in the U.S. or Australia or Germany to help support them on life’s difficult road, financially, emotionally etc. It’s easy to feel good about all of that.

But...Obviously that’s not everything. That's not the end goal - it's merely a means to an end.

As we try to help Honduran children go to school, we help pastors plant and build relationships with those children so they can point them towards the only path to getting right with God. As we help the pastors learn more about their faith and how to be a pastor, we want to help them connect more deeply with the meaning of the Cross. As we pass out backpacks and gifts, may we never forget that our ultimate purpose is to show these children The Gift, the real reason for this season, a humble manger, a cross borne for our sins, and an empty grave. The miracle, sacrifice, and promise that took place in the form of Jesus.

When we feed these children physically, our goal should always be to feed them spiritually, too.

From Sowers4Pastors to all of you who support our efforts – no matter what form that takes:

 Thanks so much! And Merry Christmas. May God bless you!

- posted by Kirstin S.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it, very inspirational. I have seen you all over the years, at a distance. I always come here to read about your adventures as a family. It is tear dropping to read each post. You couldn't have said it better.

Thank you!