Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sadly Saying Goodbye

 I don’t know that you can ever really be 100% ready to leave home. There will always be memories that linger, there will always be pieces of your heart left behind, there will always be a deep connection that you can’t really describe. 

When I arrived in Honduras at the beginning of 2018, I had no idea what was in store for me, but I looked forward to all God had with expectation. Within the first few months, I could see myself living here forever, it became my home. I had made fast and close friends, I jumped into all the ministry activities feet first, and I felt fulfilled. I experienced the peace and freedom that comes from living in the center of God’s will for your life. 


Over the last 4 years, I have had the joy of meeting some of the most incredible people- both from Honduras and from the United States. I have been adopted into families and have adopted others into mine. I have been pushed to my limits and have overcome fears and anxiety. I’ve worked longer hours than I ever had in my life. My heart has been touched by thousands of children that I’ve had the pleasure of working with. I’ve made mistakes and I’ve learned from them. I’ve grown in my ability to handle confrontation, criticism, and my own imperfection. God has taught me, guided me, and blessed me so abundantly here. 


Each year, around my birthday, I spend time contemplating my life and asking God for wisdom and direction. This year, I began to feel this prompting in my heart that it was almost my time to leave Honduras and return to the U.S. I didn’t necessarily want to listen because Honduras is my second home and the thought of leaving is painful to me. In addition, I had already told everyone I would still be working with the Sowers in Honduras during 2022, and I try not to be a flaky person. However, as time went on, it became evident that my season here was up and God was closing this chapter of my life. I have invested so much of my time and my heart into this ministry and am very thankful to the Sowers4Pastors staff and partners for the opportunity to serve. 

I would like to close with a reminder I wrote to myself in my journal on the plane to Honduras to work with the Sowers in 2018:

“Enjoy every moment. Take every opportunity. Embrace every challenge. Love every person. Try new things. Be bold. Don’t fear failure. And enjoy it all.”


That is what I did, and God completely changed my life in the 4 years I spent here. They say, “all good things must come to an end.” Well, I believe that in this case, it’s because God has something even better in store.

I will be leaving Honduras on November 24th and will live with my family again in Washington until God opens up the next door. 

To all my Honduran friends and family, I will miss you more than you know. 

 - posted by Kelsea

No comments: