Monday, October 8, 2007

American Cooking in Honduras

Sausage biscuits for breakfast . . . sounds great, doesn't it? We think so too, although the process of producing these for our family takes several people a couple of hours. We start with the ground chicken, and a recipe which adds spices until the cooked meat resembles breakfast sausage. This meat is made up into patties and browned, while the biscuits are mixed up from scratch and baked.

I feel a little guilty saying this, because so many people in the states are giving up convenience foods to make healthier homemade food . . . but some days I just wish I had a package of frozen breakfast sausages and a can of instant biscuits (well, several packages and cans for my family). Hah - or an occasional trip out for a fast food breakfast!

In my efforts to keep the family fed and happy, I like to try new recipes, and I am always watching for those which 1) sound reasonably healthy, 2) will be considered tasty and acceptable by my family, and 3) include ingredients I can purchase here in Honduras or for which I can find substitutions. If the recipe calls for canned beans, I can cook up a batch of dried beans first. If it calls for frozen or canned vegetables, I can sometimes purchase the vegetables fresh, and prepare them in a similar manner to the canned/frozen variety. If it calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts . . . we can turn a lot of frozen chickens into enough breasts to serve the whole family . . . but I rarely make those recipes, as that is just too much work. All of this translates into a lot of extra time and effort. A recipe which calls itself a "30 minute, one skillet meal" might actually require me to start a day ahead (soaking beans, or thawing the whole chickens for parts, for instance), and will likely require a lot more than one skillet!

When I notice that I am discarding a lot of useful sounding recipes because of not having access to one certain ingredient, and I can't find a local substitute, I try to see if I can get that ingredient from the states, in a non-perishable version. For instance, we recently bought a package of powdered buttermilk, and we are excited about making buttermilk biscuits, and other recipes which call for this specific ingredient. We get some special spices (like Old Bay seasoning) brought down from the states.

Some other ingredients we have learned how to make without using any expensive imports. We love lasagna, but without ricotta cheese it just wasn't the same. We now know how to make our own cheese (it is something like a dry cottage cheese) that works just great in lasagna. When we lived on Guanaja, in order to make lasagna, we made homemade noodles, homemade sauce, and homemade cheese. It was a rare, all day event!

I am just getting started in learning how to make some other cheeses, because we can get local milk relatively inexpensively, but hard cheeses we have to get from San Pedro Sula (we only get there for shopping every other month or so), and they are horribly expensive. I'm excited about learning this new skill! I did have to order a few items to get the cheesemaking process started, but these are small items, mostly powdered, which will be added in to start the chemical/bacteriological processes.

Just so no one feels the need to chide me about this, we do eat the local foods, as well. We love empanadas, baleadas, tamales, beans and rice, plantains, etc, but not all the time. The family enjoys both Honduran and American foods, so I try to create meals which satisfy both desires. But many Honduran foods I can purchase ready-made, and they will be better than the version I would cook, for a very low price. So, I don't cook Honduran very much. Cooking American foods is enough of a challenge!

I am trying to get back into the habit of cooking in big batches, and freezing the extra prepared foods for future meals. Now that we have the big chest freezer (a gift from a team which visited in April, from Countryside Christian Center in Tampa), we can do this, as I used to do when we lived in the states. The little freezer above the fridge is barely big enough for our family's ice and basic frozen storage needs.


Ooooh, something new and exciting arrived on the food front this evening - Bethany discovered some tiny berries growing on the property. With a lot of effort she collected about 2 cups full, enough to put into a small batch of muffins or pancakes. They are edible, and resemble blueberries. The local name (pardon the crudity) is cat's eggs. I don't know the scientific name. I suppose they might even be a kind of wild blueberry. We just love finding a local food source . . . especially when it's free!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Trish!!! Guess what we had for breakfast this morning. Sausage and bisuits. Let me be more specific - sausage that came in a roll ready to be sliced and fried and instant biscuits - you know, the kind that you bang the container on the counter and it pops open. My dd9 was in charge of the biscuit popping.

Jen/mamamoz

Jennifer said...

Do they not have riqueson (not sure if it is spelled that way or not)
When I made lasagna here, and I asked him about making it there, and he said yeah they had ricotta cheese - its called riqueson (Ree-Kay-Son). I don't know how much it costs, or where you can get it or anything, but if by some off chance you didn't know about it, thought I would tell you.
Jennifer

Jennifer said...

I just read what I wrote - and I didn't mean to start it out like that. When I read it I realized it sounded very snooty, and i so didnt mean that ;)
Jennifer

Trish said...

Jen, you're making me wish I could have breakfast at your place! Hey . . . what are you DOING serving your family biscuits and sausage? I thought you were one of those 'healthy food' folks!

Other Jennifer - I haven't heard of riqueson. I am guessing that the queso part of that word is what it sounds like . . . meaning cheese? Is it a brand, or something made in homes, or do you know? Anyway, we have the salty local cheese, quesillo blanco (which we use in place of mozzarella), and those nasty American cheese-stuff slices. But that's all we've found here. Oh, and I didn't even think you were being snooty, so don't worry about it!

Jennifer said...

you know, I couldn't tell you where to get it, LOL. When I talk to Lale again (possibly tonight, or possibly next weekend, I never know when he is going to be in Tocoa to talk to him) I will ask him. All I know is that I asked him about ricotta cheese, and he was clueless. Then when I bought some ricotta cheese home he said oh, thats riqueson and that it is available in Honduras. I just called my brother in law and he said you can ask some of the people who have cows and that make cheese if they could make you some riqueson, but he isn't sure if you can buy it in the stores or not. It has been almost 4 years since he came here, so I am sure that things have changed, LOL. I hope that has helped a little bit.

Jennifer said...

I just talked to my husband, and he said the best bet is to find someone who has cows and ask them for some or ask around who can get you some.

He also said you can get a bunch of milk, make cuajada, then something, something, something, boil something (I think, LOL) then take out the riqueson, ;) I didn't know he was going to give me directions - otherwise I would have had a pen and paper to take notes.
http://www.directoalpaladar.com/2006/11/28-como-hacer-requeson here is a recipe (it's in spanish) that is sort of like what he said but not exactly. I am also sure that there are a bunch of different recipes - but anyway, I hope this helps a little bit ;)

~Jennifer

Honduras Sprout said...

I've had what Jen (catracha at heart) is talking about. I've seen it sold in the big groceries here in SPS. But I've only eaten it fresh (not store bought). It is like ricotta cheese!

I can do without sausage, but LOVE biscuits! I also have learned to make a mean skillet biscuit. I use plain yogurt/milk mix in place of buttermilk. Maybe yogurt is hard to procure up there?

Interesting post. I'm spoiled here in SPS with all the choices.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

If you put a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of milk you can use it was a substitute for buttermilk. Maybe someone can buy you a copy of Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, It isn't really a cookbook but a guide for homesteaders, and is incredible if you are making things from scratch, perfect for those of us who live in "less developed" countries. Carla died in 1985, but I think the book is still available.
regards,
Theresa