Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Remote, yet connected

One of the hardest things about living internationally as an expat is the distance between us and our extended family members. This is especially hard during times of illness. I've felt fortunate that, so far, none of my adult children have left Honduras to return to the states. My daughter is taking college courses online from here, and my son hasn't yet made his decision about college.

My parents and inlaws, however, are in the states, and this week my mother was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital to have a pacemaker inserted. Happily, it seems so far that she is recuperating well from the operation. This situation was made more difficult by the fact that my father wasn't at home with my mother, but was on a business trip to Azerbaijan. Of course, he canceled the rest of his plans there, and began his trip home as soon as it could be arranged. His itinerary, as I received it in an email from my sister, read as follows:
Dad is flying home, taking the "torture route" -- flew out of Baku, Azerbaijan about 2 1/2 hours ago; will fly to Istanbul, with a 10 hour layover (ouch); then will fly to Milan, Italy with a 3 hour layover; then to Atlanta, GA with a 2+ hour layover; and should arrive home around 7:30 pm tomorrow night........ makes me tired just to think about it.
My one brother flew from Minnesota to Florida, to be with Mom until Dad could get there. Meanwhile, my sister-in-law in Minnesota, my sister and other brother in Maryland, and Dad (in transit) all tried to stay in contact with one another and with me, in Honduras.

In spite of my remote location in the mountains of Honduras, I was able to have a three-way chat (using Instant Messaging) with my sister in Maryland and my Dad (in Istanbul at the time). This was all possible, of course, because my sister's teenage daughter was able to set it up for us oldsters!

We're very grateful for the incredible technology that enables us to stay in touch with the rest of the world, while we live in the middle of nowhere!

5 comments:

ShelleyD said...

Praying for your mom.

Cindy in California said...

Wow! I feel bad for your mom being alone when this all happened and equally as bad for long trip home for your dad.

I pray your mom continues to do well and that your dad arrives safely.

I'm also glad for teenagers who were able to arrange your communication. My nephew was just here (from Minnesota where I grew up) and helped me set up some things on my new(er) computer.

Technology is wonderful (when we get it all hooked up and working the way is should). I remember when friends were missionaries in the 80's and all communication was by snail mail. If you'd ask a question it could easily be a month before you had an answer. Glad those days are gone!

Blessings,
Cindy in California

Anonymous said...

After a 3-way chat between Honduras, the US and Turkey, my kids think that Homeland Security will probably be watching my computer and communications for a LOOONNNGGG time to come!!

Pam

Anonymous said...

Keeping your mom, dad, and the rest of the family in our prayers.
Glad to hear your mom came through surgery well.
Beth and the rest of the Webb's

Suzanne said...

I often wonder about the "disconnect" that you must deal with while living in Honduras. Thankfully the internet allows you to connect with a larger community. Still I think women have the need for friends close at hand.

I admire the work you are doing and the obvious personal sacrifices that you must make.