Sunday, April 6, 2008

My kids are home from camp!

This past week was the annual MK (Missionary Kids) camp, for MK's in Honduras. This is the fifth year the camp has been held, and some (but not all) of my kids have been involved every year. This year, Boo and Chris were the right ages to be campers, and Rachel was a counselor. This is the first year that Allen hasn't gone as an adult leader. Having recently been out of the country for so long, he didn't feel he could take a week off for camp right now.

As always, the kids had a blast. They visit with friends they only see once or twice a year, but these are special friends. My children have Honduran friends, but there is a certain degree of cultural separation between them, which isn't bad, but is always there, causing them to not exactly understand one another's perspective. When they return to the US, kids like mine, who have lived in other countries. often find that they don't exactly fit in with the other North American kids, either. But the other MK's are a perfect cultural fit, understanding life from the same perspective as each another, living through the same types of joys and concerns. When this group comes together, it is like old friends have reunited, in spite of the fact that some of them have never met before, or have only been together three or four short times in several years.

Allen and Russell were gone most of the week, working on getting a shipment in through the Port of Cortes. So, most of the week, only Kirstin, David and I were at home, and Kirstin was very busy completing one of her college courses. David and I had quite a fun time together, including a lunch date for pizza. Kirstin managed to take David to the neighborhood arcade a couple of times, as well, to play X-box games, which was a special treat for him.

Now everyone is home again, and we are ready for a more normal week, getting in lots of school time (I hope).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Periwinkle said...

Trish,

Glad you are all home together again, by the way did you get my email about John Stepp?

Perri

Honduras Sprout said...

I bet that camp was fun. Was over there for Easter so I can imagine the fun the kids had.
I looked up some info on TCKs and was very intrigued. Thanks for helping me learn something new.
Still contemplating the homeschooling thing, but my husband already said, "no way". Well, I just think he needs to open his mind a little on that one.

Trish said...

Hey Perri,

I did get that email . . . thanks so much for keeping me in the loop on the prayer requests at church. I appreciate it, and will be watching for further updates.

Sprout,

My kids LOVE camp, every year. Once they're too old to be campers, they want to be counselors.

I'm glad you found the TCK stuff interesting, and perhaps helpful. As far as homeschooling, a lot of people who homeschool now started out saying "No way" . . . including me! You never know. ;-D